top of page
Multnomah County Courthouse, Jefferson Substation
The extensive remodel of Jefferson Station, originally an electrical substation built in 1909, integrates a Landmark building into the County’s new Central Courthouse facility in downtown Portland. The renovation carefully balances respect for the historical structure and character with the demands of a heavily used public space. A new reception area, grand waiting room, and high-volume courtrooms create an inspiring setting that fosters civic engagement. A drop-in daycare center, bike/shower facilities, and office suites provide critical support space for staff. Both small and large spaces were designed for durability, sustainability, and flexible use.
Photos by Josh Partee
bottom of page