The extensive remodel of Jefferson Station, originally an electrical substation built in 1909, integrates a Landmark building into the County’s new Central Courthouse facility in downtown Portland. The renovation carefully balances respect for the historic structure and character with the demands of a heavily used public space. A new reception area, grand waiting room, and high-volume courtrooms create an inspiring setting that fosters civic engagement. A drop-in daycare center, bike/shower facilities, and office suites provide critical support space for staff. Both small and large spaces were designed for durability, sustainability, and flexible use.
Decision-making relied on a collaborative design process with a large project team and client user groups. The team utilized Integrated Project Delivery to leverage the strengths of all stakeholders and provide value to the County. The project is currently tracking LEED Platinum certification.